Iowa football’s 2022 schedule features both Ohio State and Michigan
The Iowa Hawkeyes football team opens the 2022 season against South Dakota State in Iowa City. Iowa is playing Ohio State for the first time since 2017.
Ben Yoder, Wochit
It’s the most wonderful time of year for University of Iowa football fans, but all the joy it brings doesn’t change the fact that getting to Kinnick Stadium can be a real challenge.
Busy streets and crowded parties make traveling to Iowa City difficult, and when you do make it, you’ll have to find parking.
Ahead of Saturday’s 11 am home game against South Dakota State and all future games, here are some places to park so you’ll spend less time driving around to park and more time at Kinnick Stadium.
What time do the parking lots open and how can you pay?
All UI-managed parking lots, such as the Hancher Commuter Lot and Newton Ramp Road, will open no later than six hours before the start of the game and no earlier than 6 a.m. For people in RVs, parking is permitted the night before the game. soccer at home only in the following lots from 7:30 pm to 10 pm
- Lot 40
- Lot 43N
- Lot 65S
- Lot 75S
Credit cards will be the only form of payment accepted in the parking lots on game day.
Plan ahead: A look at the Iowa Football 2022 schedule, opponents, TV info and more
Where to find free public parking with shuttle services
The following lots offer free parking, as well as free shuttle services. Shuttle service begins two hours before kickoff and post-game shuttle service is available until approximately one hour after kickoff.
- Hancher Auditorium Lot, or Lot 55, is located at 298 N. Riverside Drive. The lot is located west of the Hancher Auditorium. Shuttle pickup is located at the bus stop inside the parking lot and drop off at the bus loop on Newton Road, according to the Hawkeye Sports website. If you prefer to walk to Kinnick Stadium, or maybe arrive before the shuttle starts, know that it’s a little over a mile to get to the stadium.
- Hawkeye Commuter Lot, or Lot 85, is located at 3350 Hawkeye Park Road. The lot is located west of Mormon Trek Boulevard and the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. This parking lot is free and also offers shuttle services. Pickup is at the bus stop inside the parking lot and drop off at the bus stop east of Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Elliott Drive, according to the Hawkeye Sports website. If you choose not to use the shuttle services, the walk to Kinnick is over 2 miles, making it a 40+ minute walk. So come prepared for a hike, or be sure to schedule your plans with transportation services.
- Hall of Fame Bundle, or Lot 71, is located next to the UI Athletics Hall of Fame at 2425 Prairie Meadow Drive. This lot offers free parking and shuttle services. Pickup is located on Prairie Meadow Drive and drop off is at the bus stop east of Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Elliott Drive, according to the Hawkeye Sports website. At about 2 miles, this makes it a half-hour-plus walk to Kinnick Stadium.
- Downtown Iowa City. While not necessarily free, people can be picked up downtown at the bus stop on Washington Street outside Schaefer Hall and dropped off at the Veterans Affairs bus loop.
Plus: Leistikow’s 10 game week thoughts on the upcoming Iowa football season
Other public parking options
- Finkbine commuter lot. You have two options here. You can park at the Finkbine Golf Course Lot, which is on Melrose Avenue. Or you can park at the Finkbine Commuter Lot, also known as Lot 65, located at 1380 Melrose Ave., which is the address of the Finkbine Golf Course. Essentially, you’ll take Finkbine Commuter Drive to access the commuter lot, which is on the northeast side of Finkbine Golf Course and can be accessed from Hawkins Drive. Game day attendees can purchase parking here for $30. The walk to Kinnick Stadium is about a mile or less depending on which lot you park in, so it should take about 20 minutes to get to the stadium.
- library lot, or lot 3, or the Main Library lot, is $30 for a parking pass. Availability here depends on how many prepaid passes were sold for the lot, which is also $30 for those interested in buying early. The walk to Kinnick Stadium takes about 18 minutes, a little under a mile, depending on which route you take.
- Lot 11 (CRWC). The Recreation Center lot is located at 500 S. Madison St. Parking here is the hourly rate. More than one hour costs $1.80 and costs $1.20 for each additional hour. If you walk down West Burlington Street, the walk to Kinnick Stadium is one mile, taking about 22 minutes.
- Newton’s highway ramp, or Lot 10, is located at 426 Newton Road. Parking here costs the hourly rate. More than one hour costs $1.80 and costs $1.20 for each additional hour. It’s about an 11-minute walk, or exactly half a mile, if you follow Newton Road to get to the stadium.
- Lot of Softball Fields. This parking lot is next to the Hawkeye Softball Complex, which is located at 105 First Ave. in Coralville. Parking here is $30 and it’s 1.3 miles from the stadium, making it a 26-minute walk.
- Lower Finkbine Lot. Lower Finkbine Lot is located before the Hawkeye Softball Complex, on Second Street and across from Freddy’s Frozen Custard in Coralville. Parking here is $30 and it’s just over a mile walk from the stadium.
Plus: Leistikow: Inside the rise of Riley Moss, Iowa football’s unconventional and underrated cornerback
Ramp 4 offers ADA parking on game day for $30, as does Lot 43N. To access ADA parking for lot 43N, people must enter the lot from north of Hawkins Drive, according to the Hawkeyes sports website.
If you have an RV, parking is available in the following lots for $100 on game day, or $500 for season-long prepaid parking holders:
- Finkbine Commuter Lot
- Lower Finkbine Lot
- Softball Fields Lot
You can also park your RV in the following lots for free:
- Hancher Auditorium Lot
- Hawkeye Commuter Lot
- Hall of Fame Bundle
Visit hawkeyesports.com for more information related to parking.
Paris Barraza covers entertainment, lifestyle and the arts at the Iowa City Press-Citizen. Contact her at [email protected] or (319) 519-9731. Follow her on Twitter @ParisBarraza.