The No. 7 University of Utah Utes are set to open their 2022 season home roster with a matchup against Southern Utah on Saturday, September 10 inside Rice-Eccles Stadium. The game will begin at 11:30 am MT on Pac-12 Networks.
Fans can get behind-the-scenes views and live updates during all of this season’s games on social media by following the Utes on Twitter (@Utah_Football | @UtahAthletics) and Instagram (@UtahFootball | @UtahAthletics), and by visiting www. UtahUtes.com. Fans can also search for #GOUTES and #UBOYZ on social media for conversations about Utah Football.
HOME SWEET HOME
Utah is 106-36 (.746) at Rice-Eccles Stadium (1998-present), recording its 100th win at the historic stadium in 2020. Utah is 78-25 in RES during the Kyle Whittingham era, including four unbeaten home seasons in 2008 (6-0), 2009 (6-0), 2019 (7-0) and 2021 (6-0). Utah has won 19 of its last 20 home games, including a streak of 11 in a row from Oct. 6, 2018, to Nov. 30, 2019.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Utah has won eight straight inside Rice-Eccles Stadium.
• Utah had only 15 penalty yards in the first week, third fewest in the FBS.
• Utah’s game against Southern Utah will be the second time the Utes have faced a WAC opponent.
• With a victory on Saturday, the Utes will have won 149 games against Division I programs in Utah.
• Saturday’s game against southern Utah will mark Whittingham’s 216th game at the helm.
I NEED TO KNOW
• Utah is 27-4 in non-conference regular-season games since joining the Pac-12 in 2011 and is 19-1 at home during that era.
• Utah is 15-2 in starts at home under Kyle Whittingham.
• Utah has eight straight years of winning seasons, dating back to 2014. The Utes have finished with a winning season in 15 of Whittingham’s 17 years as head coach.
• Utah was chosen to finish first in the Pac-12 in the preseason poll, receiving 26 first-place votes.
• The Utes have won the Pac-12 South title four times (2021, 2019, 2018, shared title in 2015), including three in the last four seasons, winning the championship game in 2021.
• The Utes had 13 student-athletes win the preseason All-Pac-12, tied for a league-high six first-team selections. cole bishop (S), braeden daniels (OL), van filler (DELAWARE), Brant Kuith (TEA), clark phillipsiii (CB) and Thomas Tavion (RB).
• Utah ranked No. 7 in the AP Preseason Poll, the highest preseason ranking in program history.
• Utah has filled Rice-Eccles Stadium for 70 straight games, since the start of the 2010 season. Utah increased its stadium capacity from 45,807 to 51,444 with the expansion of the Ken Garff Red Zone in 2021.