Thymesia is an action RPG set in a gothic world plagued by a terrible plague. The levels in Thymesia are memories of Corvus that need to be experienced in order to be remembered. Varg first appears as the boss in the tutorial that you are supposed to lose to start the game. Later in the game, you will have a rematch with Varg, which will be a long time coming. Because Varg’s moveset is the same in every fight, this guide applies to the tutorial fight apart from some available strategies.
Varg’s fight is a dance that requires dodging or parrying his telegraphed attacks to keep pace and aggressiveness to match his own. Parrying or attacking with the saber are forms of Wound he and claw attacks or quick plague knife strikes can continue to whittle down his green health without breaking aggression. Varg’s attacks are highly telegraphed, which can make them easy to dodge, but they deal tons of damage to make up for it. He has two phases gaining slightly faster attacks in the second phase.
How to get to Varg
Varg is the boss of Hermes Fortress. His fight is an excellent complement to the area and its spiral staircases and locked doors. Varg makes his first appearance as the giant knight who beats the crap out of you that starts the game’s plot, but his first phase can be beaten in the tutorial for an achievement.
Varg’s moveset hits hard, but it’s slow and fairly telegraphed compared to other bosses, leaving enough time between hits to deal damage. Varg has a series of moves that he can use in any order to form a combo of between one and three attacks. He frequently does a two-attack combo, but can sometimes do one or three instead.
- Two hit combo where Varg sweeps in front of him
- A dash to the side or back followed by a jump attack.
- Overhead double strike
- Phase two begins with a red grab attack.
- Sword strike, sweep attack
- Front sweep, cut up
- Heavy horizontal cut. This movement is usually the follow-up to the sweep, but can sometimes be ruled out on its own.
- Learn your stop times and use a minimum of level four Knife Plague Weapon. At level four, the knife unlocks the ability to drastically shorten its cast time if used right after a parry. This is very effective against Varg, as his attacks are spaced far enough apart that you can sneak in a stab after parrying each attack on either of his chains. The knife removes large chunks of green health per stab, helping to deal a lot of damage to Varg quickly as long as you parry each attack.
- All of his attacks hit hard, so parrying/dodging is essential to not get hit and lose tons of health and pressure.
- Because his attacks are slow and blunt, they are easier to dodge as they are slower.
- Varg always does one or two attacks in a combo, so parrying at least one of them helps chew up white health, allowing claw attacks to follow to keep up the pressure.
- Despite his armor, Varg can be knocked down quickly with constant parry pressure. His attacks are slow, but knock you down if hit, which can give him time to heal.
- The jump attack leaves Varg open to attacks for a while. take advantage of the opening