close
close

The mother of a 15-year-old boy who died in a 2021 shooting on a carriage ride in North Versailles speaks out a year later

A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed on behalf of the family of a 15-year-old who was shot and killed at the Haunted Hills Hayride in North Versailles last year.

“It’s a blessing to know that other people loved him as much as I loved him, which shows the impact he had on this world,” said Shantel Pizaro.

Pizaro shared photos of his son, Steven. One was Steven with his sister Shanise. Attorney Rob Peirce says the twins were at the Haunted Hills Hayride together on Sept. 11, 2021. They then broke up when Shanise got on the hayride and Steven stayed behind.

“Another teenager walked up to his group and a fight broke out,” Peirce said. “Steven was not involved in this fight. But when the fight started to escalate, he stepped in to break it up.”

The Central Catholic student was shot twice and died. A second Penn Hills teen was also shot but survived.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: 15-year-old teen shot to death on haunted carriage ride; second teen wounded as search for shooter continues

“My son made the greatest sacrifice that anyone can make,” Pizaro said. “Trying to save someone else. I am very proud. There is nothing greater that a human being can do for another person than to give your life for another person.

The carriage ride closed for two weeks after the shooting. It then reopened with security guards, bag searches and requiring anyone under the age of 16 to be with an adult.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: New Safety Measures Implemented for Haunted Hills Hayride

“We believe that if these simple procedures had been put in place prior to September 11, 2021, Steven would not have passed away,” Peirce said. “This family would not have to deal with what they have had to deal with over the last year.”

EARLIER COVERAGE: Mother of teen killed at Haunted Hills Hayride renews plea for public to come forward

Eason’s family is also dealing with the fact that, almost a year later, no one has been arrested. Eason’s mother just had this to say to the person responsible for taking her son’s life.

“I am praying for you,” Pizaro said. “That’s all I have to say. I’m praying for you.”

Peirce also said that his law firm is confident that the filing of this lawsuit will cause local businesses to evaluate current security protocols to better ensure the safety and well-being of clients.

Channel 11 contacted Haunted Hills Hayride for a reaction to the lawsuit. No comment was made at the time of publication.

The Haunted Hills Hayride Facebook page noted that the attraction will reopen for its 23rd season on September 23.

Download the FREE WPXI News App for breaking news alerts.

Follow the news of Channel 11 in Facebook Y Twitter. | Check out WPXI NOW

BEING A TREND NOW:

Mar-a-Lago search: Court reveals detailed list of items seized from Trump’s property Man shot to death when confronting Pittsburgh police officer with gun during search for missing woman Police seek victim after large pool of blood is found on Pennsylvania street VIDEO: Friends and family remember slain man in Center Township, beg people to lay down guns DOWNLOAD Channel 11 News app to get alerts from breaking news

Leave a Comment