COLLEGE PARK, Pennsylvania. – No. 11/12/14 Penn State visits Rutgers on Saturday at SHI Stadium for a Big Ten contest. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. on the Big Ten Network. The 2022 Penn State football season is presented by PSECU.
HISTORY OF THE SERIES: Penn State meets Rutgers for the 33rd time in program history. The Nittany Lions hold a 30-2 series lead, including 15 straight wins. Penn State earned a 28-0 victory in November 2021. christian veilleux he threw for 235 yards and three touchdowns, connecting with Jahan Dotson, malick meiga Y parker washington. The Nittany Lions held Rutgers to 160 total yards.
CAUSING HAVOC: Penn State followed with 16 tackles for loss and six sacks against Indiana with nine tackles for loss and seven sacks against Maryland. The seven sacks totaled 49 yards. Penn State had six or more sacks in consecutive games (6, at Indiana; 7, Maryland) for the first time since 2007. On the season, 23 different Nittany Lions have at least one complete tackle for loss and 14 have at least one sack. The 14 different players with a sack are tied for the most among Power Five teams.
LIMIT CURRENT ATTACKS: The Nittany Lions held Maryland to 60 rushing yards on 37 carries. Penn State has held seven opponents to less than 100 rushing yards, including five Big Ten opponents (Purdue 61; Northwestern, 31; Ohio State, 98; Indiana, 65; Maryland, 60). PSU has held eight of their last nine opponents below their season career average entering the game and, in the season opener, held Purdue below their 2021 season average (84.2).
CLIFFORD BREAKS CAREER RECORD FOR YARDING: On Saturday, Clifford passed Trace McSorley (9,899 yards; 2015-18) for the all-time passing yardage record at Penn State. Clifford now has 10,023 career passing yards from him. He also became the seventh Big Ten quarterback to reach the 10,000-yard passing mark in his career. The redshirt senior also owns PSU career marks for passing touchdowns (79), completions (781), attempts (1,285) and completion percentage (.608).
THE OPPOSITION: Rutgers is 4-6 overall and 1-6 in the Big Ten this season. The Scarlet Knights fell 27-21 at Michigan State last Saturday. Rutgers gained 460 total yards, including 224 rushing. Kyle Monangai rushed for 162 yards, averaging 6.8 yards per carry. Gavin Wimsatt passed for 236 yards and two scores. Avery Young and Tyreem Powell tied for the team lead with nine tackles.
BY THE NUMBERS
- 10,023: Sean Clifford he became the all-time passing yards leader at Penn State and now has 10,023 career yards.
- 14: Fourteen Penn State players have at least one sack this season, which is tied for the most among Power Five teams.
- 11.1: Nicholas Singleton he averaged 11.1 yards per carry against Maryland, his third time this season averaging over 10 ypc.
- 7: Penn State recorded seven sacks against Maryland, winning consecutive weeks with at least six sacks (6 against Indiana).
RUTGERS EXPLORATION REPORT
- Greg Schiano returned as head coach at Rutgers in December 2019 and is 12-19 over the past three seasons.
- Rutgers is 4-6 overall and 1-6 in the Big Ten this season.
- The Scarlet Knights have wins over Boston College (22-21), Wagner (66-7), Temple (16-14) and Indiana (24-17) this year.
- Rutgers ranks 12th in the Big Ten in scoring offense (19.9 ppg), 13th in total offense (308.3 ypg), 13th in passing offense (164), and eighth in rushing offense (144.3).
- Gavin Wimsatt has started the last three games at quarterback for the Scarlet Knights. On the season, Wimsatt completes 48.5 percent of his passes for 587 yards and four touchdowns.
- Kyle Monangai leads the rushing game with 391 yards and two touchdowns, while averaging 4.2 yards per carry.
- Aron Cruickshank leads receivers with 40 receptions and 362 yards to go with two touchdowns.
- On defense, Rutgers ranks 11th in the conference in scoring defense (25.9 ppg), seventh in total defense (324.8 ypg), sixth in passing defense (190.4), and ninth in run defense (134.4 ).
- Deion Jennings paces Rutgers with 78 tackles and has recorded 5.5 tackles for loss.
- Christian Izien owns 70 tackles, five tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks.
- Christian Braswell leads Rutgers with three interceptions.
- Led by Adam Korsak, Rutgers ranks third in the nation in net punting (43.57) and second in punt return defense (-2.5).
- Penn State is now 42-3-1 all-time against Maryland, including a 24-2 record at home.
- It was the fourth time this season that Penn State had rushed for 200 or more yards (Ohio, 234; Auburn, 245; Northwestern, 220; Maryland, 249).
- Penn State didn’t allow a sack for the fourth time this season. The four games without allowing a sack are the most for Penn State since 2011 (five games).
- On a 16-yard pass to strange brenton in the first quarter, QB Sean Clifford passed Trace McSorley (9,899 yards; 2015-18) for the all-time passing yards record at Penn State. Clifford now has 10,023 career passing yards from him.
- Clifford became the seventh Big Ten quarterback to reach the 10,000 career passing yard mark.
- Penn State posted its eighth shutout since 2014 and its 13th since 2007.
- Penn State held Maryland to 134 total yards (60 rushing, 74 passing) the fewest since giving up just 104 yards to Purdue in 2019.
- The 134 yards are the fourth fewest allowed in a Big Ten game for Penn State and also the fourth fewest by any opponent in the james franklin it was.
- The Nittany Lions limited Maryland to 11 first downs, tied for the eighth-fewest by an opponent since 2014.
- Penn State had six or more sacks in consecutive games (6, at Indiana; 7, Maryland) for the first time since 2007 when it had two consecutive games with six or more sacks (7, Florida International, 9/1; 6, Notre Dame, 9/8).
- Penn State limited Maryland to 3 total yards in the first quarter (5 passes, -2 rushes) and 27 total yards in the first half (20 passes, 7 rushes).
CLOSE TO 100 WINS
- Penn State’s upcoming win will be the head coach’s 100th career win james franklin.
- Franklin owns a 99-51 career record, .660 winning percentage and a 75-36 mark, .676 winning percentage, at Penn State.
- Franklin has led his team to a bowl game in 11 of his 12 seasons and has guided Penn State to three New Year’s Bowl Sixes.
- Since 2016, Franklin’s .718 winning percentage (61-24) ranks sixth among FBS coaches.
- Franklin is set to become the 27th active FBS coach with 100 career wins.
- He would join 17 other active coaches with 100 wins at the FBS level.
- Of the active coaches with 100 career wins, Franklin would be one of nine with at least 75% of their wins at an FBS school.
- The current eight coaches with 100 career wins with 75% of their wins at a school include Troy Calhoun (Air Force), Kirk Ferentz (Iowa), Pat Fitzgerald (Northwest), Mike Gundy (Oklahoma State), Ken Niumatalolo (Navy), Rick Stockstill (MTSU), Dabo Swinney (Clemson) and Kyle Wittingham (Utah).
- Of the current 26 coaches with 100 career wins, Franklin would be one of seven with all of his first 100 wins while coaching in a Power Five program.
- Franklin could potentially earn his 100th win in the 151st game of his career. Only six of the current 26 FBS 100-win coaches have earned 100 wins in fewer than 151 games while coaching only at the FBS level.