Longtime friends and creative collaborations Kendell Marvel and Chris Stapleton join forces on fun new song “Don’t Tell Me How to Drink.”
Marvel is an accomplished country songwriter with a long list of hits to his name, including Stapleton’s “Either Way,” Gary Allan’s “Right Where I Need to Be” and the Brothers Osborne’s “Younger Me.” On his upcoming solo album come on sunon sale September 23, the pair reunite once again in the unapologetically defiant bar anthem.
“I wrote ‘Don’t Tell Me How to Drink’ with my old songwriting partner Chris Stapleton a couple of years ago,” says Marvel. “Beau Bedford and I tracked down this song and I sent it to Stapleton to ask if he would be interested.” to play the guitar and sing on it. It’s a goddamn thrill for me to have him in this honky tonkin’, rock n rollin’ hell raiser. Younger people may be better at some things, but don’t mess with old dogs when it comes to things like drinking!
Directed by Jace Kartye, the official one-shot music video sees Marvel visiting Nashville’s local dive bar, Fran’s East Side. Some familiar faces make guest appearances in the clip, including local talents Wade Sapp and Misa Arriaga.
Watch the music video for “Don’t Tell Me How to Drink” below:
“Don’t Tell Me How to Drink” serves as the third pre-release single from come on sun, which includes co-writing with The Black Keys’ Dan Auerbach, Waylon Payne, Devon Gilfillian, Dee White, Al Anderson and Kolby Cooper. Marvel intentionally sought out a wide range of collaborators for the project, which also features contributions from accomplished harmonica player Mickey Raphael.
“I’m 51 years old, which means I haven’t been able to serve anyone for a long time. I’m just telling the stories I want to tell,” explains Marvel. “I like working with people who are different from me.” “Working with Beau Bedford in Dallas meant playing with guys I had never met before. Guys who had different ideas, different tones and different ways of playing than my friends back home. We recorded the album live, finishing the whole thing in four days. So It’s how magic is captured.
Marvel has several tour stops scheduled throughout the rest of 2022, including an appearance at the Grand Ole Opry on September 23. You can find a full list of upcoming Marvel tour dates on his official website.
Kendell Marvel, Come on Sunshine Tracklist:
1. “Don’t Tell Me How To Drink” (written by Kendell Marvel and Chris Stapleton)
2. “Keep Doing Your Thing” (Written by Kendell Marvel)
3. “Hell Bent On Hard Times” (written by Kendell Marvel and Dean Alexander)
4. “Never Lovin’ You” (written by Kendell Marvel and Chris Stapleton)
5. “Come On Sunshine” (written by Kendell Marvel and Devon Gilfillian)
6. “Put It On The Plate” (written by Kendell Marvel and Dee White)
7. “Off My Mind” (written by Kendell Marvel, Dan Auerbach and Al Anderson)
8. “Fool Like Me” (written by Kendell Marvel and Waylon Payne)
9. “Habits” (written by Kendell Marvel and Kolby Cooper)
10. “Dyin’ Isn’t Cheap” (written by Kendell Marvel and Josh Morningstar)
PHOTOS: The Osborne brothers through the years
Scroll through the photo gallery below to find out more about what the Osborne brothers have been up to for the past decade or so: