Hulu simulcasts, sometimes called concurrent streaming, are one of the biggest features of streaming services today, especially if you share an account with a friend or family member who has different TV tastes than you do. Fortunately, many streaming services, including Hulu, offer the ability to stream on more than one device at a time, whether you’re at home or tuning in via smartphone. You can also stream in a web browser, select game consoles, and various media players, like Apple TV.
How many simultaneous streams can a Hulu account have?
With a basic Hulu account, users can stream on up to two screens at the same time and aren’t limited by whether they’re streaming at home or on the go. That means you and a friend can stream Hulu’s library of content from anywhere in the US. Hulu also doesn’t have a limit on the number of devices you can sign in to at one time, so there’s no need to track.
What devices can stream Hulu?
Multiple devices can stream Hulu, from mobile phones to web browsers.
Here’s a full list of devices that currently support Hulu:
- Amazon Fire Tablets
- Amazon Fire TV (Fire OS 5.0 and later)
- Android phones and tablets
- Android TV devices
- Apple iPhones and iPads
- Apple TV (4th generation and later)
- Contour 2 and Stream Player Boxes*
- Echo show (8, 10 and 15)
- LG WebOS Smart TVs
- Nintendo Switch (R1 and Lite)
- PlayStation 4 and 5
- Samsung Smart TVs
- Vizio SmartCast TVs
- web browsers
- Xfinity Flex and X1* TV Boxes
*Live TV and certain add-ons are not compatible with Xfinity X1 TV Boxes and Contour devices.
Hulu simulcasts compared
There are several similarities between Hulu and these competitors. Hulu and Paramount Plus offer TV shows and movies, but Hulu has a more diverse library of content because Paramount Plus focuses on content owned by CBS and ViacomCBS.
Sling TV is an on-demand live TV streaming service that regularly competes with Hulu’s Live TV plan, and Netflix is an exclusively on-demand service with a vast library of TV shows, movies, and original content, similar to Hulu basic plan. . And both Hulu and Netflix stream a healthy mix of popular movies and TV shows, as well as original content.
Each service offers some combination of simultaneous streams. Hulu allows two streams on its base plan, Paramount Plus offers up to three streams, and Sling TV and Netflix offer up to four streams depending on your chosen plan. Ultimately, subscribers must choose the streaming service that best suits their content preferences and which service offers the best value.
Hulu User Profiles
You can create up to six unique user profiles per Hulu account, giving a diverse household (or group of friends) a lot of work.
Your main account profile uses the same information you used to set up your Hulu account and cannot be deleted. However, it is very easy to manage existing Hulu profiles and create new profiles.
Manage a Hulu profile
- Hover over the profile icon in the top right corner of the page and click “Manage Profiles.”
- Click the pencil icon next to the profile you want to edit.
- Make the desired updates.
- Select “Save Changes”.
- Tap “Profile.”
- Touch the initials.
- Tap “Edit.”
- Choose the profile you would like to edit.
- Make the desired changes.
- Save Changes.
- From the navigation bar on the left side, select “Settings”.
- Select “Profiles” in the settings menu.
- Find the profile you would like to change and select “Edit”.
- Make the desired updates.
- Select “Save Changes”.
Create a new Hulu profile
- Hover over the name in the top right corner of the page and click “Manage Profiles.”
- Click “Add Profile”.
- Fill in the required fields.
- Click “Create Profile”.
- Tap the Account icon.
- Select your name to open the “Profiles” page.
- Tap (+) “New Profile”.
- Fill in the required information, then tap the “Create Profile” button.
Devices connected to the TV
- Select “(+) New Profile” on the Profiles screen.
- If you are already in the app, go to “Account > Profiles > (+) New Profile”.
- Enter the required information, then select “Create Profile.”
- If you have PIN protection enabled, you will need to enter your PIN to create a new profile or when you switch to all non-kids profiles.
*You can create a new Hulu profile on Android, but to edit an existing profile, use your Android phone’s web browser.
Downloadable content and offline viewing
To download content for offline viewing on a compatible mobile device, you must have a Hulu (No Ads) or Hulu (No Ads) + Live TV account. You can download content on Hulu using Wi-Fi or your cellular network. That is how:
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network or enable cellular download.
- Tap “Search” on the global navigation bar.
- Select “Downloadable” from the menu.
- Browse available downloadable content.
- Select the movie or show you want to download.
- For movies, tap “Download” on the “Details” page.
- For TV shows, select the “Episodes” tab to find downloadable episodes. If an episode is available for offline viewing, tap the “Download” icon next to it.
- Go to “Downloads” in the global navigation bar to monitor ongoing downloads.
Hulu’s simulcasts and device compatibility make it a versatile streaming service that can meet the needs of different viewers. While other streaming services may offer an extra stream or two, Hulu’s library of content and the ability to create up to six unique user profiles make it a force to be reckoned with.
Plus, with compatibility across a wide range of devices, including smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, and game consoles, Hulu is a convenient option for those who want to stream their favorite TV shows and movies on demand. Do you want to give it a try? Take advantage of Hulu’s 30-day free trial.
Frequently asked questions
Does Hulu allow simulcasting?
Yes, Hulu simulcasts are allowed. You can stream Hulu on up to two devices at the same time.
Can two households use the same Hulu account?
Two households can use the same Hulu account as long as they don’t require more than two simultaneous streams; this arrangement would equate to one transmission per household.
What does simulcasts mean?
With simultaneous streaming, you have the ability to stream content on more than one device at the same time with the same account. Each streaming service has a different maximum number of simultaneous streams.