Spotify is a wonderful app for discovering and enjoying your favorite tracks, podcasts, or even audiobooks. Whether it’s listening to your workout playlist or enjoying some new tunes to get you through the day, streaming music on Spotify through your smartwatch is a handy feature you can access.
With a sleek design and great functionality, the Samsung Galaxy Watch makes it easy to listen to your favorite tracks, whether through your smartwatch’s built-in speaker, your phone or other connected Bluetooth devices, so you can enjoy podcasts and playlists. playback on the go. Let’s take a look at how to set up and use Spotify on your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
Getting started with Spotify on your Wear OS smartwatch
The Spotify Connect feature allows you to remotely stream and control music playback with a variety of connected devices. To use Spotify on your watch, you’ll first need to pair it with your phone. You can then listen to music on compatible devices, whether it’s your smartphone, Bluetooth headphones, or smart speakers.
This process works primarily with the Galaxy Watch 3, Galaxy Watch 4, and Galaxy Watch 5 devices. You can also do this with other Wear OS watches, such as a Pixel Watch. For this guide, we will be using a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4.
Some models like Galaxy Watch 3, Galaxy Watch Active 2 and some others support direct audio output. For some devices, you may even need a Spotify Premium account to use the feature.
However, it can take a bit of work to stream music directly to your Samsung smartwatch. We’ll walk you through the steps in the sections below. To get started, you’ll need to download the Spotify app on your smartphone and smartwatch as well.
Discharge: Spotify for Android | iOS (free, subscription available)
How to control Spotify on your phone with your Samsung Galaxy Watch
As we noted above, you can set up Spotify on your smartwatch to play music through your phone. To do this, you will need to pair it with the Spotify account on your connected smartphone. That is how:
- On your smartphone, launch the Spotify app and sign in with your details. Make sure they are connected to the same network and that the Bluetooth function is enabled.
- Then open the app on your smartwatch. A pairing code will appear. Play Pair on the phone. Alternatively, you can visit the Spotify website and enter the code.
- Check your connected smartphone to see the confirmation screen. Play pair now to complete the setup. Your watch will automatically connect to the Spotify account on your phone.
- Then on your smartwatch, tap on the device icon at the bottom. select Your phone of the available device options. Please note that you cannot select your clock for audio output.
- Swipe left to access your playlists or music collections. Select an audio track or podcast and press Play. The track will start playing on your phone.
How to play music directly on your Samsung Galaxy Watch
While it’s a bit tricky to play music directly on your smartwatch, there’s still a convenient way to set it up. Instead, you can connect to Spotify’s web player or desktop app and listen to playlists, radio stations, and podcasts right on your Galaxy Watch.
For one, you’ll need to have your smartwatch and web player connected to the same network. This is how you can do this:
- Open Spotify in your web browser. Scroll down to the bottom right corner and tap the device icon.
- You can see all your connected devices: your web browser, smartphone, and other devices on the same network.
- Then on your smartwatch, swipe up to access your app drawer, then launch the Spotify app.
- Swipe left to bring up your playlists/library. You will get limited playlist options unless you are a Spotify premium user. Select a track you would like to listen to.
- Your smartwatch should now be visible in the list of connected devices in your web player. If not, check that your smartwatch and web player are connected on the same network.
- Select your watch and tap Play to start playback directly on your smartwatch.
- Now you can control your playback settings (pause, skip, and favourites) right from your watch.
- In case this doesn’t work, you can refresh the web player or close it and try again.
- You can also control the audio output at any time: phone, smart watch, web browser or other streaming devices. Similarly, you can adjust the volume controls.
With a Spotify Premium subscription, you can choose from several playlist and track options, whether they’re radio stations, podcasts, artists, or albums. Be sure to check out some of these Spotify sites to discover new songs and get recommendations based on your favorite songs.
How to stream music on your Galaxy Watch using the Google Assistant
This is another useful feature. You can set up the Google Assistant on your smartwatch. Once that’s done, you can link your Spotify account to control music playback with Google Assistant voice commands. This is how this is done:
- On your smartphone, open the Google app. Tap on the profile icon in the upper right corner.
- navigate to Settings > Music. Under the More music services section, touch Spotify.
- On the confirmation screen, tap Continue > Accept and continue.
- Enter your Spotify account credentials. Read the terms and tap To accept to confirm.
- Your accounts will now be linked. You can use the Google Assistant on your smartwatch and connected phone(s) to access Spotify music controls.
You can also download and listen to Spotify music and podcasts on Apple Watch.
Access music controls directly from your smartwatch
We hope you enjoyed this guide on how to stream music from Spotify directly to your watch. We think it’s a cool feature too!
The next time you’re out for a run and need to access music controls right from your wrist, your Galaxy Watch will be able to keep up with you. Just make sure the Spotify app is up to date on your device and follow the steps above, and you should be good to go.