In 2023, there are too many game recording software to choose from. There is one that stands out from the crowd due to its friendly user interface and shallow learning curve. Yes, we are talking about OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) Studio and you have probably been using it for a while already. However, simply downloading it is not enough and you should keep it updated to access new features and avoid bugs. That’s exactly why you need to know how to update your OBS Studio and keep your game streaming smooth. Without further ado, let’s learn how to update OBS.
How to update OBS on Windows
To download the latest version of OBS for Windows, follow these steps:
1. Open the OBS app for Windows.
2. Here in the top panel of the app, find the Aid section.
3. You will be able to see the Search for updates option here. Click on it.
4. You will then see a popup window on your screen showing you the latest release notes with a Update now button. If you are already on the latest version, no updates will be found.
5. If you have an older version of OBS, click the Update Now button.
6. Your app will start updating to the latest version.
7. Once the update is complete, you will see a small button to Launch OBS. Click on it and your new version of OBS should start.
How to update OBS on Mac
Being one of the best free and open source software, there is a massive user base for OBS. Therefore, it is understandable that it is available for download by Windows and Mac users. However, the steps to update OBS are slightly different for Mac users:
1. Open the OBS Studio for Mac app.
2. Here, in the upper left section of your screen, find the OBS study button. Click on it.
3. Once you do, you will see the option to Search for updates. Click on this option.
4. Your OBS for Mac application will start Checking for updates.
5. If you have the latest version, you will receive a message indicating so. If not, you will see a small download popup to update OBS to the latest version, similar to the Windows version.
However, note that this method can it doesn’t work for you if you are on an older version. Many users reported that the Search for updates the option did not appear. That brings us to an alternative method to update OBS.
Update OBS to the latest version from the website
If you are unable to check for OBS updates, due to the prevailing fault, you can try manually updating the app from the website. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Go to the official OBS Studio download page.
2. Here, you will see the option to Select your operating system. Choose the operating system as per the requirement.
3. Scroll down to see the download installer option for the operating system you have selected.
As soon as you click on it, OBS will start downloading. Now, all you have to do is reinstall OBS Studio on your Windows or Mac device. The latest version will automatically replace the previous version. Don’t worry, your files and settings will remain intact during the process.
How to automatically check for OBS updates
For those wondering if they can make OBS Studio automatically update to a newer version, that’s not possible. However, you can have it automatically check for updates at startup and choose to download the latest version. This automatic check for OBS updates feature can be accessed in the same way for Windows and Mac users. By default, this feature is enabled. In case it is off, here are the steps to turn it back on:
1. Open the OBS app for Windows or Mac.
2. Here, look for the Settings panel in the lower right corner of your screen. Select it.
3. Under the General tab, you will see the Check for updates automatically at startup option. If it is not checked, check the box.
4. Hit the Apply button.
5. Then click OK.
You can manually update OBS by going to Help>Check for updates>Update now. Also, you can head over to the official website and download the version for Windows or Mac.
To check for OBS updates on Mac, go to OBS Studio>Check for Updates>Update Now.
To update your OBS to the latest version, you need to make sure you have one. If you are already on the latest version, no updates will be found.
Not quite. But, you can enable the app to check for updates at startup. To enable this feature, go to Settings > General > Check the “Automatically check for updates at startup” checkbox > Apply > OK.