All gamers know the importance of updating their GPU (graphics processing unit) drivers to get the best possible gaming performance from their platform. Fortunately, the process is easy for both Nvidia and AMD based machines. This article will explain how you can get the most out of your gaming PC with an AMD or Nvidia video card.
Updating Nvidia and AMD GPU Drivers on PC
Nvidia and AMD are the two most dominant GPU vendors in the PC industry today. Both brands offer internal software for users to update video card drivers without any hassle. However, things can also be done from the Device Manager app available in Windows.
How to update Nvidia GPU drivers
For an Nvidia-based GPU, you can download the Geforce Experience app from the company’s official website. Once installed, the app is pretty easy to navigate. It automatically notifies you if an update is available and allows you to install it with a single click.
If you want to avoid downloading additional apps, Nvidia Control Panel is enough to control your system’s GPU driver. Follow these steps to enable automatic checks for updates through the Nvidia Control Panel:
- Right click on the desktop and click on the Nvidia Control Panel option.
- Click the Help menu and select Updates.
- Select the Preferences tab.
- Check the box next to the ‘Automatically check for updates’ option to keep an automatic tab.
- Now, go to the Updates tab and select ‘Check for updates’ option to search for available downloads or force a manual search.
- If an update is available, you will be provided a link to the appropriate drive page on the Nvidia website. Download and install the update to keep your drivers up to date.
How to update AMD GPU drivers
One can download the freeware Adrenaline Edition to access a user-friendly interface to update AMD based GPU drivers. Similar to Geforce Experience, Adrenaline also offers options for gamers to further optimize their system performance.
If you want to avoid downloading third-party applications, use AMD’s automatic detection and installation tool to make the process seamless. Download and run the app to check for available updates for your controller.
How to use Device Manager to update any GPU driver
Follow these steps to use the Device Manager app to update your GPU drivers:
- In Start menu search, type Device Manager and open it.
- Under “Display adapters,” find your video card.
- Right click on the card name and choose ‘Update driver’.
- Lastly, choose ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option and continue following the instructions on the screen.
How to perform a manual search
You can also choose to manually check for available driver updates on the manufacturer’s website. Whether it’s AMD or Nvidia; you can search for your video card model and get the best available drivers for it. With this process, you can simply download and install the driver.
While there are plenty of options for keeping your drivers up to date, GeForce Experience and AMD Adrenaline can definitely make the process a breeze, while also providing options for further in-game optimization. However, checking for drivers manually can help avoid unnecessary updates for those looking to install only the essential ones.