How to tame a cat in Minecraft

If you are a cat lover, you have surely come to the right place! This article will show you how to tame a cat in Minecraft with the easiest step-by-step instructions and all the relevant information about taming cats in Minecraft.

3 steps to tame a cat in Minecraft

#1 Get the cat food

Cats in Minecraft only eat raw beef and raw salmon even though there are many other types of fish in the game. Let’s see how to get the raw fish!

You can go fishing in any water source for raw cod or salmon with a 60% and 25% chance respectively. With the Luck of the Sea enchantment, the chance to fish is slightly reduced, so at best use an unenchanted fishing rod.

Specific mobs can drop raw cod and salmon on death:

  • Guardians and Senior Guardians can drop both Raw Salmon and Cod on death. The chance of dropping raw cod is 40-50%, while the chance of dropping raw salmon is only 0.625%.
  • Polar Bears have a 25% chance to drop 0-2 Raw Salmon and a 75% chance to drop 0-2 Raw Cod on death.
  • Dolphins can drop 0-1 raw cod upon death.
  • The Cod and Salmon mob always drops 1 corresponding fish item on death. So besides fishing, this is the second most efficient way to get raw cod and salmon.

The chance of getting raw fish above can be increased by looting enchantment. So make sure to use your enchanted sword to kill those mobs.

#2 Find cats in Minecraft

Cats can only spawn in 2 places: near the village structure and inside a swamp hut in the swamp biome. Every minute in real life, a random location is chosen that is between 8 and 32 blocks away from the player. If that block meets all the conditions below, a random cat will appear.

For village structures, there must be at least 5 claim beds (beds that belong to a villager or have been slept on) and no more than 4 cats within the village. If the village doesn’t have any beds, you can create some and place them randomly within the village. Then, chase away all the existing cats so that more cats can appear here.

You can always find 1 black cat spawning inside the swamp hut and it never disappears, but watch out for the witch! If there are no cats in the 16x8x16 area, another black cat will spawn inside the hut again.

#3 Tame a cat

When you find some cats, you notice that they are running away from you, making it difficult to feed and tame them. To prevent cats from running, you need to sneak (shift + move) or hold raw fish in your hand.

Then just right click on the cat with the raw fish. After a few tries, you will see the hearts floating above the cat. That means you successfully tamed a cat!

Frequent questions

How long does it take to tame a cat in Minecraft?

It depends on your luck, but usually it will take 4-7 raw cod or salmon for the same cat. So be sure to bring some backup raw fish.

What mobs are afraid of cats?

Creepers and ghosts are afraid of cats in Minecraft. Even though you can’t fight your cats, the ability to ward off vines is a huge bonus!

Can cats be tamed with cooked fish?

Nope! Cats can only be tamed with raw fish!

Leave a Comment