Windows 11 menus are already pretty snappy, but you can make them even snappier with these tips.
Windows 11 menus have fading and sliding animation effects that most users probably rarely notice. These effects cause momentary delays in the appearance of the menus, amounting to approximately half a second (400 milliseconds). And while 400 milliseconds may not be a particularly noticeable delay, the animation effects still slow down menus a bit.
However, there are ways to speed up menus. You can reduce the menu delay to 400 milliseconds or disable its visual effects entirely. This is how you can speed up menus in Windows 11 with three methods.
Windows 11 does not have a built-in setting with which to configure the delay setting for menus. However, the record includes a MenuShowDelay string can modify the value of to speed up menus. You do not need to add or remove any keys or DWORDS for this registry hack. Follow these steps to set a lower value for the MenuShowDelay string:
- Click beginning > All applications > windows tools to bring up a folder that includes the Registry Editor.
- Double-click Registry Editor in the Windows Tools directory to open Regedit.
- Click inside the Registry Editor address bar and delete the current path. Then enter this key location in that address bar and hit Get into:
- Double click on the MenuShowDelay string to display a value data box for it.
- Delete the current number in that box and enter a lower value. Entering 0 will disable animations, so enter something like 100 (milliseconds) if you want to keep the visuals.
- Select okay to save the new menu delay value.
- then click beginning > Energy > Restart on Windows 11.
You can now notice a subtle difference in the responsiveness of the Start menu and other submenus. You can always experiment with different values and even try to slow down the menus by entering a higher number (4000 is the maximum value). To restore the default delay, enter 400 in the string MenuShowDelay value data cash register.
Winaero Tweaker is a software that includes many customization options to modify Windows. Among them is a Show delay menu setting that allows you to change the menu delay without manually editing the registry. So you can speed up menus with Winaero Tweaker’s Show delay menu option:
- Open the Winaero Tweaker page which includes the software download link.
- Click on the Download Winaero Tweaker link from there.
- Extract the Winaero Tweaker ZIP and then open its setup wizard from its extracted folder to install the software. Our guide to customize Windows 11 with Winaero Tweaker includes full installation instructions.
- Next, open Winaero Tweaker from the Start menu or by double-clicking its desktop shortcut.
- Click on the Behaviour Settings category in the Winaero navigation sidebar.
- Select the Show delay menu option.
- Drag the slider on the Change a delay before the submenu appears bar to the left to lower the value and speed up the menu.
- Then select the disconnect Now option to log out of Windows.
- Sign in to Windows 11 again.
Now try opening some menus in Windows 11 to see the difference. You can restore the default delay value in Winaero Tweaker by clicking Reset this page to defaults For him Show delay menu adjustment. Or drag the bar slider to 400 instead.
Disabling animations and other effects in Windows 11 is another way to speed up menus. Disabling those effects will free up system resources. You don’t need to edit the registry to do this, since Windows includes options to adjust its effects. Instead, disable visual effects through the Performance Options window as follows:
- to open the Visual effects tab, press Win + R and entrance SystemPropertiesPerformance on Run. then click okay to open that tab.
- Select the Adjust for best performance radio button.
- Click on the Performance Options window Apply button.
- Select okay to exit Performance Options.
- Restart your Windows 11 PC to apply the visual effect changes.
the Adjust for the best performance option disables all effects, which frees up more RAM. You can more specifically select to disable Start menu animations. To do this, uncheck the Animate controls and elements within windows check box on the Visual effects tab.
Windows 11 menus will be a bit snappier and more responsive than before when you reduce menu lag or disable animation effects for them. Doing so may not drastically speed up Windows 11. However, you will notice a marginal difference when opening menus if you set the delay time below 100 milliseconds.