It can destroy your Binance account and erase all your money and assets in the blink of an eye if you don’t zealously protect them. Binance’s built-in 2FA makes it a tough rock to crack. He leaves you with no excuses on your part for being vulnerable.
So, what are you waiting for? Set up your Binance 2FA today and secure your tokens.
How to protect your Binance account with biometrics and phone number through the Binance app
If you only use Binance to execute lighter transactions, you can verify your Binance transactions with your email address and phone number.
The email address you provided when signing up for Binance is your default 2FA method. But adding other authentication methods like SMS verification strengthens security.
Activate Binance 2FA with phone number
The option to add SMS authentication to your Binance 2FA is located in the app settings:
- Tap the profile icon at the top left of the mobile app.
- To go Security.
- Then touch Text message.
- Turn on the switch to the right of Text message to start using SMS 2FA.
- Provide your phone number in the contact field.
- Play Send code in the SMS and email authentication fields.
- Check your messaging app and your email inbox. Then enter the respective six secret digits that were sent to you.
- Finally touch Send.
After you set up 2-step verification via SMS, Binance sends a six-digit secret code to your email address and phone number for every transaction you make through the mobile app or web.
Activate Binance 2FA using Touch ID or Face ID
Binance uses your biometric data while you are logged into the app or when you need to further verify a transaction. So adding this to your 2FA ensures that only you can withdraw crypto from your Binance wallet.
To activate 2FA with biometrics:
- Tap your profile icon in the top left > Security.
- Select Biometric and security key.
- Play Add new authentication.
- Select Touch ID/Face ID.
- Play get code and enter the verification code sent to your email or phone.
- Play Send.
- Hold the phone directly to your face to scan your Face ID. Or tap your fingerprint panel to activate Touch ID verification.
How to protect your Binance account with a 2FA application
Using a dedicated 2FA app is one of the safest methods of protecting your Binance account.
You can activate 2FA through the Binance mobile or web app. The web application method is a two-way process involving your mobile phone and your computer.
Install an authenticator app through Binance
The first step is to install a Binance-compatible 2FA app on your smartphone. Binance supports Google Authenticator and Binance Authenticator. You can install any of them from the App Store or Play Store.
- Open the Binance mobile app and tap on your profile icon at the top left > Security.
- Play Binance/Google Authentication.
- Activate Authentication app.
- Play Download Binance Authenticator either Download Google Authenticator; this takes you to the App Store or Play Store (you can also find links below).
- Install any of the apps for iOS or Android.
Discharge: Google Authenticator for Android | iOS
How to link Binance with a 2FA app through a desktop web browser
You can also set up a 2FA mobile app through the Binance website on your computer. The only advantage the web app offers is that it gives you a backup key in case you lose your phone and need to recover your authenticator app.
To get started, log in to Binance through a web browser on your PC or Mac.
- Click on the profile icon at the top right.
- To go Security.
- Click Enable to the right of Binance/Google Authenticator.
- Select the Binance Authenticator either google authenticatordepending on the application you installed on your mobile phone earlier.
- Click next.
- Now open the authenticator app on your phone and tap Scan QR code. Scan the QR code that appears on your computer screen. Alternatively, select Enter a setup key Enter the 16-digit authentication key that appears below the QR code on your computer screen. then play Continue.
- Click next in the web application.
- Copy the backup key on your computer screen and paste it in a safe location. You can use a password manager here for better protection.
- Click next.
- Click get code in all required fields.
- Enter the 6-digit code sent to your email inbox in the Email verification code countryside.
- Type the 6-digit OTP into your mobile authenticator app in the authenticator code countryside.
- Finally, click on next. After Back to Security.
How to link a 2FA app with a Binance account on the mobile app
Setting up a 2FA app through the mobile app does not provide the flexibility of the web option as it does not provide a backup key. However, it’s a quick way to set up your two-factor authentication if you don’t have access to a desktop.
Open your Binance account on the mobile app after installing an authenticator app, then follow these instructions:
- Go back to the Binance mobile app and tap Link.
- Skip the tutorial section by tapping skip walkthrough.
- Copy the 16-digit secret key below the QR code.
- Play Link.
- Open the authenticator app you installed earlier (Google or Binance Authenticator). Then follow the on-screen instructions in the authenticator app to get started.
- Choose to enter a setup key manually.
- Paste the code you copied from Binance earlier into the field provided.
- Play Continue either Add (for Google authenticator).
- You will see a spinning circle in the authenticator app. This changes your 2FA Binance authentication code on every full revolution.
- Within the Binance app, tap Send code in all applicable fields. Paste the 6-digit code sent to your existing 2FA methods (email or combined with phone number).
- Open the authenticator app. Copy the six-digit code before it completes one revolution. Paste this into the authentication code field on Binance; this is how you will always verify subsequent transactions on Binance.
- Finally touch Send.
Protect your Binance account with 2FA security key hardware
Security key hardware is the most secure form of 2FA for Binance, as your security key is only available locally and is not subject to internet-based security breaches. The easiest way to set up a security key hardware for your Binance account is via the web on a computer.
It involves storing access keys on external security hardware such as Yubikey Series and Titan Security Key, among others. They are USB sticks that you can insert into your computer or iOS port (for those that support USB-C inputs).
Binance recommends Yubikey to protect your account in hardware through a desktop browser.
According to Binance, you cannot verify withdrawals via the Binance desktop or mobile app once you activate a security key via the web. After setting it up, you can only do it on the website for further transactions.
To use external security key hardware as your Binance 2FA option:
- Login to Binance in your account via your computer’s web browser.
- Click on your profile icon at the top right and go to Security.
- Click Enable to the right of Biometric Authentication/Ke SecurityY. or click Manage instead, if you previously enabled Mobile Touch or Face ID.
- Paste Add new authenticator.
- Click get code in the verification fields provided.
- Please provide the six-digit verification code sent to your email address. Then enter the six-digit code from your authenticator app if you’re using one.
- In the alert box, click External security key or built-in sensor.
- then click okay. After okay once more if prompted. Make sure you complete these steps within 60 seconds. Otherwise, you will have to start over.
- Now insert your secret key into your computer’s USB port and follow the instructions on the screen to set your security key.
- Provide your biometric by touching your security hardware for fingerprinting; this activates the hardware and links it to your Binance account.
- Click Allow in the browser if prompted.
- Provide a unique name for your security key in the secret tag key countryside.
- Then follow the instructions on the screen to verify your account.
- Finally, click Submit to complete the security key setup.
Always secure your cryptocurrency
Binance offers many options to help protect your account. These come at little or no cost, except if you’re going the extra mile with security key hardware. You can protect your account with any or a combination of the 2FA methods. However, combining them provides multi-layered protection to further strengthen your account security.