When you have to go through dozens of text messages every day, it can be quite time consuming. It would be much easier if you could sort them using categories or tags.
If you’re using a Samsung Galaxy device, it’s easy to organize your texts using conversation categories. Let’s take a look at how you can set up and use the feature.
What are conversation categories in Samsung messages?
Tired of scrolling through your message inbox to find a specific text? Or maybe you’re looking for a way to categorize your conversations to make them easier to find? Either way, we have the answer: conversation categories.
With Samsung Messages, you can set up custom categories that can be used to sort or filter conversations by topic, keywords, or any other way that makes sense to you.
Although this feature is not enabled by default, you can enable it at any time by following the steps mentioned in the sections below. The feature not only gives you more control over your messages, but also makes it easy to find specific texts when you need them.
However, the app doesn’t automatically filter conversations into message categories, so you’ll need to add each conversation manually.
Create conversation categories based on keywords or preferences
Conversation categories make it easy to locate and organize your messages. For example, you can create a conversation category based on important keywords like “transactions” or “purchases,” and add relevant conversations to them so you can easily access them. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch the Samsung Messages app and touch the three dots icon on the right. From the dropdown menu, select Settings.
- Then activate the slider button to Conversation Categories.
- To create a category, touch Conversation Categories > Add Categoryand play Done. Go back to the app home screen to see the newly added tab/label.
- To rename a category, touch Conversation Categories. Select the desired category and choose Rename in the bottom menu.
- You can now add categories directly from the home screen by tapping the + next to a previously added category. Just enter a name for your new category and tap Done.
Add or remove conversations
If you want to add or remove a conversation from a category, here’s what to do:
- In the Samsung Messages app, tap the category name.
- Tap on add conversations. You will see a list of all your current conversations. Select the ones you want to add.
- Play Done to save your changes.
- To remove a conversation from a category, go to Settings and touch a category.
- You can see a list of conversations that you have previously added. To delete, tap the red minus symbol next to each conversation.
Reorder conversations based on priority
When organizing your messages, it can be useful to change the order of the texts (according to their priority), instead of sticking to the default chronological order. Here’s how to set it up:
- In the Samsung Messages app, tap the three dots icon and select Edit categories from the drop-down options.
- Activate the slider to Conversation Categories. Play Edit in the upper right corner.
- To reorder category positions, touch and drag the two arrow icon (on the right side) to the desired position. Once done, return to the Messages screen to see the reordered tabs and categories.
Conversation categories make it much easier to find your text messages and chats. You can organize your emails in a similar way.
Pin your most important messages
If you’re looking for a way to quickly sort conversations, you can always pin them to the top or bookmark your favorite messages for easy reference.
Samsung Messages allows you to pin conversations like you can in Google Messages and move them to the top of your list. To do this, simply tap and hold on a conversation thread. Select Plus (the three dots icon) in the bottom menu and tap pin on top.
How to turn off conversation categories
You can disable conversation categories by turning off the feature from the Samsung Messages app. Doing so will only hide message categories from the home screen. To do this, follow the steps below:
- tap on the three dots icon on the home screen of the Samsung Messages app.
- Select Settings.
- Deactivate the slider button to Conversation Categories.
If you want to remove conversation categories permanently, here’s what to do:
- On your device, open the home screen of the Samsung Messages app and touch the three point menu.
- From the dropdown menu, select Settings.
- tap on the Conversation Categories > Edit.
- Select and hold the name of the category you want to delete.
- Once the blue checkmark appears, tap delete all in the bottom menu to remove the category entirely.
See your messages at a glance
Have you ever felt that you have so many texts that you cannot find the one you are looking for? After all, letting your messages pile up over time can be a hassle. You tend to miss out on important information – it’s hard to go back and look at something you might have missed in the past.
With Samsung Messages, you can choose how you want to view your messages, either in chronological order or sorted by category. We hope this guide will help you sort your conversations however you choose and access them quickly for a seamless experience.