Facebook is a social network used by all kinds of people. But all categories of users have different reasons for hiding or showing posts. For example, they may not want a tagged photo on their profile or an event announcement has expired.
Although the easiest option would be to delete Facebook posts, in certain cases, you need the option to get them back on your profile quickly. Until recently, hiding and showing posts on Facebook was easy. However, Facebook decided to increase the transparency of its pages, and the “Hidden from the timeline” option was removed. That being said, there is still a way to hide spam posts and show them later.
Reasons to hide your Facebook posts
Some people just like to keep their Facebook timeline clean and often hide old and unwanted posts. However, they can change their mind later and get these posts back. Maybe you’re embarrassed by an old photo you posted, but you’d like to keep it as a special keepsake.
On the other hand, businesses need to keep their Facebook pages organized. They may have outdated information in their previous posts. Rather than deleting such posts, the option to hide them may be preferable, especially if they want to reuse them at a later date.
How to hide your posts from your Facebook profile on a PC
Follow these steps to hide an unwanted post from your Facebook profile:
1. Open Facebook in a web browser and make sure you are logged into the correct Facebook account.
2. Open your profile page by selecting your profile picture in the upper left corner.
3. Once you are on your profile page, scroll down to the post you want to hide.
4. Select the three-dot menu in the top right corner of the post, and then choose move to archive.
5. You will get a pop-up message in the bottom left corner of your screen: “Move post to your archive, Go to Archive”. This means that your post has been moved from your timeline and is no longer visible on your page.
6. If you select Go to FileFacebook will take you to a new page where you can see all your archived posts.
How to hide someone else’s post from your profile
If a particular Facebook post doesn’t belong to you, the steps to hide it are slightly different.
1. Go to the Facebook website in your browser and sign in to your account.
2. Go to your profile and find the post you want to hide.
3. Select the three-dot menu at the top right corner of the post and choose hide from profile.
Although your friends will no longer be able to see this post on your profile page, it will remain visible on the original poster’s page. That means it can show up on other people’s timelines.
How to hide a Facebook post on Facebook using the mobile app
If you prefer to use an Android or iOS mobile device, please follow the steps below:
1. Open the Facebook app and make sure you’re logged in.
2. Tap the hamburger menu in the upper right corner of the screen. You’ll recognize it as three horizontal lines above your profile icon.
3. In the menu, touch your profile picture and name to go to your profile page. If you have multiple profiles, you can choose which one to access.
4. Scroll down to find the post you want to hide.
5. Tap on the three-dot menu at the top right corner of the post and tap move to archive.
6. Facebook will automatically move the post and notify you with the message at the bottom of the screen “Move post to your archive, Go to Archive.”
If you want to hide someone else’s post you were tagged in, follow the same steps, but instead of moving the post to the archive, tap hide from profile.
How to show Facebook posts on your PC
If you change your mind and want to show the post, follow these steps:
1. Open Facebook in a web browser and make sure you are logged in.
2. Select your profile picture in the top right corner and choose Settings and privacy from the drop down menu.
3. When the following dropdown opens, choose activity log.
4. A new page will open. In the menu on the left side, select File, Archive.
5. A dropdown submenu will open. Select post archive.
6. You will access a page with all your archived publications. Find the one you want to display. Check the box to select it and select Restore.
How to display posts on Facebook from your Android and iOS device
If you prefer to use the Facebook app on your smartphone, follow these steps to display your posts:
1. Open your Facebook app and sign in to your account.
2. Go to your profile page and tap on the three dots next to the Edit Profile button.
3. A profile settings the page will open. Tap on File, Archive in the list of options.
4. Select the post you want to add back to your profile and touch Restore in the lower right corner.
How to Show Old Hidden Posts on Facebook
If you have some old posts that you want to revive, you can follow these steps:
1. Open Facebook in web browser and sign in to your account.
2. Go to your profile and enter settings.
3. Enter the activity log, and choose Shares registered and other activity.
4. In the submenu, select Hidden from profile.
5. A new page will open with a list of hidden posts. Find the one you want to display. Please note that not all hidden posts can be added back to your profile.
6. Select the three dots next to the post you want to display and then choose Add to profile.
Take full control of your Facebook posts
Hiding a post on Facebook is a fairly simple process, and it’s a great way to keep your timeline tidy. If you decide to show a post later, the steps you need to follow are just as simple. Let us know in the comments below if you have any trouble hiding and showing your posts. Facebook likes to get the steps wrong when updating the platform.