If your PC is lost or stolen, you can use Find My Device in Windows 11 to remotely find or lock it to prevent data loss. That is how.
Just like your phone or tablet, there may come a time when your laptop is lost or stolen. you will want enable Find My Device in Windows 11 prepare for such an unfortunate event.
The Find My Device feature helps you locate your Windows 11 laptop or desktop computer. The feature takes advantage of your Microsoft account’s ability to sync your data to the cloud. The feature allows you to locate it, remotely lock it, and send a message for help.
So if you want to prepare your system to be located in the event of loss or theft, we’ll show you how to enable the feature below.
What is Find My Device in Windows 11?
He find my device The feature in Windows works like Apple’s Find My feature to locate your iPhone, AirPods, or other Apple devices. And Android has a similar feature to locate your Android device and manage data remotely.
After enabling the feature, you can identify your PC’s location on a map by signing in to your Microsoft account from a device using any browser. Once located, you can remotely lock it to prevent unauthorized access, log out active users, and disable access for local users.
Note: You must sign in with your Microsoft account to enable and use the Find My Device feature in Windows. So if you just create a local account by installing Windows 11 without the Internet, for example, it won’t work. Also, location services must be enabled on your laptop or desktop computer.
How to enable location services in Windows 11
Location Services must be enabled to use the Find My Device mechanism. In Windows 11, it should be enabled by default, but you may have turned it off. So checking that the location services feature is enabled doesn’t hurt.
To enable location services in Windows 11:
- press the Windows key + I launch Settings.
- Select the Privacy & Security left panel option.
- Scroll down to the App permissions section to the right and click Location.
- Turn on the switches next to location services and Allow apps to access your location.
How to enable Find My Device in Windows 11
Now that you have enabled location services, you need to turn on Find My Device. Once it’s turned on, Windows 11 will send the approximate location of the PC to your Microsoft account to make it easier to find if it’s lost or stolen.
To enable Find My Device in Windows 11:
- press the Windows key + I launch Settings.
- Click on the Privacy & Security list tab on the left.
- Under the Security section, click on the find my device option.
- light the find my device toggle switch.
After turning it on, your system will send the PC’s location to Microsoft, so you can find it later from your Microsoft account if you need it.
How to track your PC in case of loss or theft
If your PC is lost, stolen, or misplaced, you can use Find My Device to locate it. That is how.
To find your lost Windows 11 PC:
- Launch a browser on any device, such as another computer or mobile device, no matter what platform.
- Go to the Microsoft Devices page and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Select your PC from the list of devices linked to your account and click find my device.
- Click on the drop down menu and click on the Find to pinpoint the location of the device on the map.
- You can also click the Lock button to lock your PC and log out any active users remotely. The lock feature also allows you to write a message such as your name and number if someone finds it.
Use the locator device list to find Windows 11 devices
It is also important to mention that you can find your devices listed through prompts in Windows 11.
To find your device list:
- press the Windows key + I open Settings.
- Select Privacy & Security from the list in the left column.
- Click on the find my device option.
- Click See all your devices linked to your account option in the right column.
- Edge will open the devices pagewhere you can manage your lost or misplaced device as described in the steps above.
Find your lost Windows 11 PC
The Find my device setting in Windows 11 can help you find it if it’s lost or stolen. Also, having the ability to remotely lock it will prevent unauthorized access and potential data loss. Also, keep in mind that this feature is not new and you can learn how to use Find My Device in Windows 10.
You can take other security precautions in Windows 11 to protect your data. For example, learn how to set up Windows security for maximum protection. Or, if you need to allow a known trusted file or service through, you can temporarily disable Windows security.
If you can access remote servers, you can generate SSH keys in Windows 11 to login without password. Also, to stop targeted ads on your PC, see how to disable ad tracking in Windows 11.