By default, Gmail uses your Google account name as the sender name for emails. However, you can easily change Gmail name from both your computer and mobile phone, and this tutorial demonstrates it.
What is the difference between Gmail name and username?
Before proceeding with the tutorial, you need to understand the difference between your username and your Gmail username. Your Gmail name acts as an identifier for you, the person sending the email, and appears next to messages sent from your Gmail account. The recipient sees that name in the emails they receive from you. On the other hand, your Gmail username is actually your Gmail email address. Gmail usernames, also known as email addresses, are unique, but that’s not the case with Gmail names.
Changing the name in Gmail will only change the Gmail display or sender name and will not affect your username. For example, if I change the name of Gmail to [email protected] account, only the display name will change as shown below:
Now that you know the difference between Gmail names and Gmail usernames, let’s see the methods to change your Gmail name.
1. Rename Gmail from the Web
This method allows you to change your Gmail name from a computer. Once you change the name on the web, it will also be reflected in the Gmail mobile apps. Renaming Gmail as shown below will not affect other Google services.
- Open the Gmail website and sign in to your account.
- Click the “Settings” icon at the top and go to “View all settings”.
- Select the “Accounts and Import” tab at the top.
- Scroll down and click “Edit Info” next to “Send Mail As.”
- Type a new name in the text box in the new window that opens, then click the “Save Changes” button.
- You’ll see the new name next to “Send Mail As” after the window automatically closes. Now all emails will be sent under the new name for Gmail web and mobile apps (Android and iPhone).
- To check if this is really the case, sign out of your Gmail account. Then sign back in and send a test email. It must be sent through the new name.
Note: To return to the Google account name, repeat the steps above and select the original name in step #5.
2. Change Gmail Name via Apple Mail App on iPhone
If you’re signed in with Gmail in the Apple Mail app on your iPhone or iPad, you need to change the Gmail name through the Mail app settings.
- Open “Settings” on your iPhone.
- Go to “Mail”, then “Accounts”.
- Tap “Gmail” and select the account you want to change the name for.
- Delete the existing name in the “Name” field and enter a new one.
- Tap “Done.”
Note: the name change applies only to emails sent through the Apple Mail app. Similarly, you should check and change the name in other third-party email apps you use.
3. Change Gmail name by changing Google account name
If you want to change your name in all Google services like Gmail, Google Meet and Play Store, you need to change the name in your Google account profile. It is possible to do it from PC, Android or iPhone as shown below.
- Sign in to Gmail on the web.
- Click on the profile picture icon at the top.
- Go to “Manage your Google account”. Alternatively, go to myaccount.google.com and sign in to your Google/Gmail account.
- Click on “Personal Information”.
- Scroll down the “Basic Information” screen and click on the “Name” field.
- Click the “Edit” icon next to “Name”.
- Delete the existing text from the “First Name” and “Last Name” fields and enter a new name. Click the “Save” button to change your name across all Google products.
Advice: To verify your Google name, hover over the image of the Google account in Gmail in the upper right. Your name and email ID should now appear.
- Open “Settings” on your Android phone.
- Scroll down to “Passwords & Accounts” and tap on it.
- Select the Google account whose name you want to change. On Samsung Galaxy phones, go to “Settings -> Accounts -> Manage accounts” to select your Gmail account. At this stage, it can also be helpful to know how to manage multiple Gmail accounts.
- Tap “Google Account”.
- Tap the “Personal Information” tab at the top.
- Scroll down and tap “Name”.
- Hit the “Edit” icon next to your name and add the new name. Hit the “Save” button.
If you only have one Google account added to your Android phone, please go to “Settings -> Google -> Manage your Google account -> Personal information -> Name” to change the name.
- Alternatively, you can go through the Gmail app by tapping on your profile picture in the top right corner. Select “Manage Your Google Account -> Personal Information” and follow steps 6 onwards as described above.
On an iPhone, you can change the Google account name only through the Gmail app.
- Install and open the Gmail app on your iPhone.
- Tap the three bar icon at the top.
- Scroll down and go to “Settings”.
- Tap your Gmail account, then “Manage your Google account.”
- Go to the “Personal Information” tab and press the “Name” option.
- Tap the “Edit” icon next to “Name” to add the new name. Click the “Save” button to confirm the change.
What should I do if Gmail still shows the old name?
If Gmail continues to use its old name, clear the cache and cookies in your PC’s browser. Also, clear the cache of the Gmail app on your Android, or sign out of your Gmail account and sign in again. Lastly, check your own contact card on your iPhone and change the first and last name on it.
How many times can you change your Gmail name?
Google does not place any restrictions on the number of times you can change your name. However, it would be wise to wait a bit before trying to change your name again.
Can I change my username or address in Gmail?
You can’t change your Gmail address, but you can create a new Gmail account to get whatever username you want (if available, of course). Then transfer emails, contacts, and other data to the new account. Once you are done, delete the old Gmail account.
All screenshots by Mehvish Mushtaq
Is this article useful?
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Our latest tutorials sent directly to your inbox