In April 2021 a video was published on YouTube called “How to be miserable for the rest of your life”. In it, the narrator jokingly documents various habits that you can incorporate into your life if you want to ensure that you are unhappy, disorganized, and miserable.
Patrick dedicated a segment to The Patrick Madrid Show talking about these bad habits and why doing the opposite is so beneficial to lead a happy and fulfilling life on a physical and spiritual level.
- wake up whenever you want. The first step to unhappiness is sleeping in regularly and making sure everyone else had a head start the day before. When you sleep, you lose any chance of starting your day on the right foot. Everything you scheduled for the morning goes off.
On the other hand, you have the option of getting up at a regular time. On weekdays, it may be a little earlier than on weekends. But the goal is to be consistent. Have a set time and stick to it. When you’re able to stick to a schedule, even if it’s as small as getting up on time, we give ourselves an early win and that can catapult us into wins for the rest of the day.
- Make your house always a complete mess. We all have that friend who can’t seem to keep their room, home, or office in order. He is covered in clutter, dirty clothes, old papers, and dust. They can never find anything, and he always smells funny in his house. He is a pigsty. They say that the state of your room is the state of your mind. Have a miserable house, have a miserable life.
Instead, practice the virtue of order. An easy first step to practicing order is to assign everything a place. You don’t have to be obsessive about it, but make sure everything has a home so you know where it goes, it goes there when you’re done with it, and you know where it should be when you need it. Do not accumulate possessions. When something reaches the end of its useful life, get rid of it. On the other hand, don’t be wasteful; be witty
- Every time a productive thought enters your head, get it out.. After all, you just woke up. You have plenty of time to get to what you need to do. Just assign all those tasks to the future version of you. They will feel more productive.
Fake. Do it now. Seize the day. Grab the bull by the horns and do something. If by chance you got up late, all the more reason to get things done. You’re after the hustlers of the world and you need to catch up. Just like waking up on time can give you a boost, doing tasks like cleaning your room and making your bed can set a standard for the rest of your day. Just wins.
- you look busy. When you sit down at your computer or desk to get some work done, just look like you’re getting things done. Get comfortable opening documents and resources. Then instead of working, open social media and scroll. As long as those documents and resources are open, you’ll feel like you’re doing something.
Another lesson in order. Just as the physical things in your life have a place, so do the digital apps and social media platforms that eat up your time and productivity. And that place doesn’t overlap with our workspace. Don’t let your social life or leisure time bleed into work time.
- wait for opportunities. Just wait for it to happen. Wait to land your dream job. Don’t go out and meet other people, network, or go the extra mile in your career. Wait until you meet the girl of your dreams. Don’t date, don’t make new friends, and don’t talk about your feelings. Believe that everything you want will come knocking at your door.
No, get out of your comfort zone. Push the limits of your comfort level by showing people who you are, that you have value and character, and that you have something to offer. Find out the most effective way to achieve the things you want from life and take action.
- Make your default answer ‘No’. When your friends ask you out, tell them you’re too busy. When your boss asks you to lead a meeting, find an excuse. Be so good at saying no that people just stop asking you to do things. That way you can get away with doing whatever you want in your little bubble forever.
Similar to taking action, reject your urge to stick with the status quo. Go out and do something. Your drive to make a proactive decision will lead to more dynamic life experiences and open your eyes to becoming a more fulfilled person. And who knows? Your choice to go out for a drink or lead a meeting at work could lead to a life-changing opportunity.
To be continue.
Tune in The Patrick Madrid Show Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. Central Time