NEBRASKA vs. GEORGIA SOUTH
SEPT. 10, 2022 | MEMORIAL STADIUM
LINCOLN, NEB. | 6:30 p.m. (Central Time)
RADIO NETWORK – Radio Huskers Network (greg sharpe, Matt Davison, jessica coody)
INTERNET RADIO – Huskers.com
APP AUDIO – Official Huskers App
Record: 1-1, 0-1 B1G
Last match: vs. North Dakota (W, 38-17)
Coach: scott frost
Career record/NU: 35-37 (7th year)/16-30 (5th year)
vs. Georgia Southern: First Encounter
Record: 1-0, 0-0 Sun Belt
Last game: v. Morgan State (W, 59-7)
Coach: Clay Helton
Race/Ga. South Record: 47-24 (7th year)/1-0 (1st year)
vs. Nebraska: First meeting
HISTORY OF THE SERIES
All-Time Series: First Meeting
Nebraska continues a four-game homestand Saturday night at Memorial Stadium against the Georgia Southern Eagles. The showdown is scheduled for 6:30 pm, with television coverage provided by FS1. The game is also available on the Fox Sports app and can be heard on the Huskers Radio Network and Huskers.com.
Nebraska enters the contest with a 1-1 record, following a 38-17 victory over North Dakota last Saturday at Memorial Stadium. The game was tied at 17 late in the third quarter before Nebraska scored the final 21 points of the game to walk away for the win. The Huskers leaned into the running game in the second half, racking up 181 rushing yards after halftime. Blackshirt’s defense rose to the occasion in the second half as well, allowing just 133 yards after halftime.
Georgia Southern is under the direction of first-year head coach Clay Helton, who took over the Eagles’ program after six seasons as head coach at USC. Georgia Southern opened the season on Saturday with a 59-7 victory over Morgan State. The Eagles dominated the contest on the strength of an explosive passing game that accounted for 367 yards and four passing touchdowns, while Georgia Southern had 500 yards of total offense. Defensively, Georgia Southern limited Morgan State to 250 total yards and forced four turnovers.
Saturday’s game will feature several special events, including Ag Day at Memorial Stadium, with Nebraska planning several performances honoring the state’s agricultural heritage. Nebraska will also wear vintage uniforms recognizing the 1983 “Scoring Explosion” season, and Nebraska’s Football Hall of Fame class of 2022 will be honored before the game.
Series history: Nebraska vs. Georgia Southern, Sun Belt
Saturday’s game is the first meeting between Nebraska and Georgia Southern. It will mark the Huskers’ first game against a Sun Belt Conference opponent since opening the 2019 season against South Alabama.
• Nebraska is 15-2 all-time against current members of the Sun Belt Conference, with 16 of 17 games at Memorial Stadium.
Huskers enjoying four-game homestand
Nebraska opened its seven-game home schedule last Saturday with a 38-17 victory over North Dakota. The game was the first of four consecutive home games at Memorial Stadium, including three non-conference games and the Big Ten’s first home game against Indiana on October 1.
• The 2022 season marks the first time Nebraska has played four straight at home since opening the 2013 season with five straight at Memorial Stadium.
• This is the fifth time since 2000 that Nebraska has had a homestand of four games or more. (also in 2002, 2005, 2008, 2013).
Huskers will wear alternate uniforms, two 55 Gear
Nebraska will wear alternate uniforms for Saturday’s matchup with Georgia Southern. The alternate uniform is a tribute to Nebraska’s 1983 Scoring Explosion team and features a design similar to that era of Husker football. The 1983 team went undefeated in the regular season and finished second in the national polls with a 12-1 record. The Huskers led the nation in rushing and scoring, averaging 401.7 rushing yards and 52.0 points per game, respectively. Nebraska coaches will also wear special polo shirts and hats from the TWO55 collection on Saturday, as Nebraska Athletics launches the second year of the program.
• The TWO55 collection, named after Hall of Fame trainer Thomas William Osborne and his record 255 wins, is designed to connect style with Nebraska pride in a specially curated fashion collection. TWO55 includes products from Nebraska’s top licensees including adidas, Cutter & Buck, Peter Millar, Antigua and Game Day Couture, among others.
• The TWO55 Collection honors Coach Osborne’s legacy off the field with 50 percent of the royalties generated from each TWO55 item sold to benefit the mission of Tom and Nancy Osborne’s TeamMates mentorship program.
Nebraska offense starts fast
In the first two games of the season, Nebraska’s offense has been at its best to open both the first and second halves. The Huskers have produced four touchdowns on four drives to open halves in games against Northwestern and North Dakota.
• The Huskers’ drives to open halves in 2022 have covered at least 75 yards in 3:24 or less. The average of the four touchdown drives to open the halves has been 7.5 plays, 81.3 yards and 2:23.
• Since last season, Nebraska has scored a touchdown on its opening drive in four straight games. The game’s opening scoring drives have been led by three different quarterbacks.
numbers this week
8 – Eight of Nebraska’s nine touchdowns this season have been scored by players who had not previously scored a touchdown in a Husker uniform. anthony grant (4), Casey Thompson (1), Nate Boerkircher (1), ajay allen (1) and Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda (1) have scored their first TDs at Nebraska in the first two games.
100 – Nebraska Corridor anthony grant he has surpassed the century mark on the floor in each of the first two games. He is the first NU running back with back-to-back 100-yard games since 2018.
6 – Six former Husker greats will be inducted into the Nebraska Football Hall of Fame this weekend. All-Americans Prince Amukamara and Toniu Fonoti lead the class that will be officially sworn in Friday and honored on the field before Saturday’s game.