Ezra Miller will remain Flash as long as Andy Muschietti is involved in the Warner Bros. superhero franchise, the director has said.
During an interview on the upcoming episode of “The Discourse” podcast, Muschietti said he has no plans to reprise his role as Miller despite the actor’s history of legal troubles and alleged abuse.
“Yeah [a sequel] It happens, yeah,” Muschietti said of having Miller return as the Flash. “I don’t think there’s anyone who can play that character as well as they do. The other portrayals of the character are great, but this particular take on the character, they just stood out doing it. And, like you said, the two Barrys, he feels like a character made for them.”
“The Flash” producer Barbara Muschietti added: “In principal photography, Ezra was brilliant, most committed and most professional. [actor]. Ezra gave his all to this role: physically, creatively, and emotionally. They were absolutely supreme.”
Miller was cited in Vermont for felony robbery last year. In 2020, the actor made headlines after footage surfaced of a woman appearing to be suffocated outside a bar in Iceland. No charges were filed. The actor was also arrested twice in Hawaii in 2022, once for disorderly conduct and harassment. In the Hawaii incidents, Miller pleaded no contest to a single disorderly conduct charge and paid a $500 fine and $30 in court costs. The harassment charge was dismissed.
Variety reported exclusively last August that Miller was seeking treatment for “complex mental health issues” after going through “a time of intense crisis.”
“I want to apologize to everyone for having alarmed and upset my past behavior,” Miller said in a statement at the time. “I am committed to doing the work necessary to return to a healthy, safe and productive stage in my life.”
Given that Muschietti’s “The Flash” was developed and filmed under the previous leadership at DC Studios, it’s unclear whether or not the Miller-starrer will get a sequel (surely the big box office receipts will help). James Gunn and Peter Safran are now in charge of DC Studios, but their first slate announcement didn’t include any word about a runoff for Miller’s the Flash. Gunn has already promoted the film by calling it “one of the best superhero movies” ever made, while Safran has said that Miller’s future as the Flash depends on his continued recovery.
“Ezra is completely committed to his recovery,” Safran said in January. “And we totally support that journey that they are on right now. When the time is right, when they feel like they’re ready to have the discussion, we’ll all figure out which is the best way to go. But right now, they are completely focused on getting him back. And in our conversations with them over the past few months, it seems like they are making tremendous progress.”
Warner Bros. presented “The Flash” in its entirety at CinemaCon in April. The tent garnered strong first reactions from the journalists present. Andy Muschietti told reporters at the event: “Ezra is fine now. We all hope they get better… They are taking steps towards recovery. They are dealing with mental health issues, but they are doing well. We spoke to them not long ago and they are very committed to getting better.”
“The Flash” production designer Paul Austerberry said earlier this month that most moviegoers would “forget” Miller’s story when the film was released, so it wouldn’t be a concern for the film’s release. movie.
“The Flash” opens in theaters nationwide on June 16 from Warner Bros.