Actor Armie Hammer will not be charged after a lengthy investigation into a woman’s allegation that he sexually assaulted her in 2017, Los Angeles prosecutors said.
Hammer said on Instagram after a lengthy public silence that she “looks forward to beginning what will be a long and difficult process of putting my life back together now that my name has been cleared.”
Police began investigating Hammer in 2021 and turned the results over to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office earlier this year.
“In this case, those prosecutors conducted an extremely thorough review, but determined that at this time there is insufficient evidence to charge Mr. Hammer with a crime,” Tiffiny Blacknell, the district attorney’s communications director, said in a statement on Thursday. . “Due to the complexity of the relationship and the inability to prove a forced, non-consensual sexual encounter, we are unable to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.”
Hammer, 36, said in his post that “I am very grateful to the district attorney for conducting a thorough investigation and coming to the conclusion that I have stood my ground all this time, that no crime was committed.”
Allegations of sexual violence by women in early 2021 derailed Hammer’s career, and she has not worked in Hollywood since. He left the comedy “Shotgun Wedding” he was filming with Jennifer Lopez, he left the Paramount + series “The Offer,” about the making of “The Godfather,” and his agency, WME, left him.
Los Angeles police revealed they were investigating Hammer after a woman using only her first name, Effie, appeared at a news conference and said he had raped her for hours, smashing her head against a wall and subjecting her to other acts of violence.
“I tried to run away but he wouldn’t let me,” he said. “I thought he was going to kill me.”
The woman’s attorney at the time, Gloria Allred, said she had filed a report with police.
Effie said she was 20 when she and Hammer met on Facebook and began dating in 2016, last contacting in 2020.
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they have been sexually assaulted unless they come forward publicly.
Allred said in an email Thursday that he no longer represents the woman. It is unclear if Effie has retained a new attorney, and she could not be reached for comment.
Hammer’s lawyer, Andrew Brettler, said at the time that the actor’s interactions with Effie and any other sexual partners “have been fully consensual, discussed and agreed upon in advance, and mutually involved.”
Brettler posted a screenshot showing a text from Effie to Hammer expressing her desire for hard, forceful sex with him. He responds by saying that he no longer wants a relationship with her.
Hammer was married at the time to television personality Elizabeth Chambers. They divorced in 2020.
Hammer first rose to fame playing twins in 2010’s “The Social Network,” and is best known for his starring roles in 2017’s “Call Me By Your Name” and 2013’s “The Lone Ranger.”