This story appears here courtesy of TheChurchNews.com. It is not for use by other media.
By sydney walker, Church News
The #LightTheWorld 2022 initiative invites everyone to focus on sharing kindness as the Savior did and answering the question, “Who needs your light today?”
Throughout December, people are encouraged to look for ways to bring joy to someone new each day and highlight the ways that people around them are sharing the light.
This year’s initiative features something new: a list of 50 ideas for sharing light with others.
“In the past, we have provided a calendar with specific service ideas for each of the days leading up to Christmas,” said Tom Pratt, manager of the Church’s Missionary Department that manages the Light the World initiative. “However, this year we offer daily text or WhatsApp reminders as well as weekly emails that hopefully inspire everyone to be vigilant and thoughtful about who they can serve.
“We invite people to find a way to share their light with someone every day in a way that is personal and meaningful to their needs. So this year we invite everyone to ask the question ‘Who needs my light today?’ be it a family member, a friend or a complete stranger. If you’d like some helpful suggestions, go to LightTheWorld.org where you can download a ’50 Ideas for Sharing Your Light’ sheet.”
50 Ideas for Sharing Light
Below is the list of 50 light sharing ideas this holiday season. (Download the PDF.)
- Laugh with a friend.
- Call someone you miss.
- Bring an extra snack for someone in need.
- Send a homemade Christmas card to a friend.
- Plan some alone time with a loved one.
- Let a stranger go ahead of you in line.
- Smile at someone.
- Learn to say “Merry Christmas” in a new language.
- Share a link to a Christmas song you love.
- apologize to someone
- Pay for the person behind you at the grocery store.
- Complete an item on a loved one’s to-do list.
- Make a Christmas playlist and share it with a friend.
- Send a thank you note to a healthcare worker.
- Help someone research their family genealogy.
- Support a local small business.
- Send a photo of a fond memory to a family member.
- Give your neighbor a compliment.
- Let someone else be nice to you.
- Learn how another culture celebrates Christmas.
- Be patient with the waiters and customer service.
- Help a loved one clean their house.
- Contribute to Giving Machines locally or online.
- Invite others to a Christmas celebration.
- Leave a gift at a neighbor’s door.
- Watch “El Niño Jesús” with family or friends.
- Send a funny meme or video to a friend.
- Give your favorite book to a loved one.
- Have a meal with a family member.
- Donate cans to your local food bank.
- Be kind to yourself. Practice self care.
- Text someone “I’m thankful for you.”
- Leave a kind note for your postman.
- Invite a neighbor to a worship service.
- Leave an uplifting comment on social media.
- Visit with an elderly neighbor.
- Tell a loved one that you care.
- Clean up the trash in your community.
- Ask a coworker how you can lighten your load.
- Stop to help someone who is having car trouble.
- Go caroling with a group.
- Take a walk with a friend.
- Post about a loved one using #LightTheWorld.
- Offer to teach someone a new skill.
- Keep the door open for a stranger.
- Host a family game night.
- Pray for someone by name.
- Volunteer at your local library.
- Give a friend a hug.
- forgive someone
Download other resources here, such as event invitations, digital step cards, and videos.
Sign up for daily and weekly inspiration
Those who live in the United States and Canada can sign up for daily inspiration by texting LIGHT to 71234. Individuals can also sign up for weekly inspiration via email.
Shine a light on others
To inspire more to reach out with love like Jesus did, share stories of people showing kindness by posting on social media using #LightTheWorld.