Yelp has revealed its 10th Top 100 Places to Eat in America, featuring 28 California restaurants, the most of any state, with 17 in Los Angeles, OC and Riverside counties including the top spot.
The list, published on Wednesday, January 25, is curated by a combination of community suggestions, reviews, ratings and geographic representation based on a fair share of submissions from the top-rated restaurants nationally, according to Yelp. Food trucks, delis, and cafeterias are also taken into account, not just restaurants.
First place this year went to Downtown Los Angeles’ Broken Mouth, a Hawaiian-Korean fusion restaurant housed in a food hall and serving up classics like spam musubi and Hawaiian-style jun steak (thinly sliced beef with I beaten egg). On Yelp, Broken Mouth has a 5-star rating and over 1,300 reviews.
For the first time in the list’s history, island cuisine dominated the top five spots. Kaaloa’s Super Js Authentic Hawaiian in Captain Cook, HI and Adela’s Country Eatery in Kaneohe, HI placed second and fifth.
Here are the other places in the South that made the list and their rankings:
- 6. Sunbliss Cafe (Anaheim)
- 10. Sababa Falafel Shop (Grove Garden)
- 13. Little France Cafe and Bakery (Old Mission)
- 18. Trust (Saint Ana)
- 34. Maison Cafe & Market (Dana Point)
- 44. OmG Omakase by Gino (Saint Ana)
- 70. Thanh Do Restaurant (Grove Garden)
- 81. Heart Flavor of Mexico (pitch)
- 94. Hanuman Thai Restaurant (Costa Mesa)
Los Angeles County
- 12. Appu’s Cafe (Long Beach)
- 23. BMORE Protein Pub (Long Beach)
- 25. Rajas With Cream (Maywood)
- 61. Mr. Empanada (Monrovia)
- 89. Fiore Market Cafe (south pasadena)
- 7: El Rincon Cafe Cajun (Norcan)
- 46. Nonno’s Ristorante (Murrieta)
San Diego County had four spots on the list and Ventura County had one.
The state with the second most restaurants was Florida with 14 on the list, Texas had the third most with 8 and Nevada and Arizona each had 5 and 4 restaurants, according to Yelp data. Since the list’s debut, Las Vegas restaurants have appeared on the list more than 30 times, making it the city with the most appearances. In second place, Los Angeles and San Diego with 28 appearances each.
To see this year’s full list, visit the Collection on the Yelp app or website.