Aloha, fellow adventure seekers and pineapple enthusiasts! Today we head to the tropical paradise of Hawaii, where sandy beaches, hula dancing and impressive volcanoes await us. But hold on to your grass skirts because we’ve uncovered 15 mind-blowing facts about Hawaii that will leave you saying, “Mahalo for blowing my mind!”
- The State Fish is the Humuhumunukunukuapua’a – No, that’s not a tongue twister; is the official name of the state fish of Hawaii. Good luck trying to pronounce it without twisting your tongue!
- The Law of the Aloha Spirit – In Hawaii, in fact, there is a law that requires everyone to embody the Aloha Spirit, which means to be friendly, welcoming and full of love. It’s like living in a perpetual embrace!
- The steepest road in the world – If you fancy a wild adventure, head to Maui. There you will find the steepest road in the world, known as Kahekili Highway. Buckle up and get ready to drive white knuckles!
- No billboards allowed – Unlike the mainland, Hawaii has banned billboards. Instead, you can enjoy the scenic beauty without annoying ads blocking your view. Mahalo for keeping it quaint!
- The rainbow state – Hawaii is not only famous for its beaches; it is also known as the Rainbow State. Thanks to their various weather patterns, rainbows are a common occurrence. It’s like living in a Skittles commercial!
- The cradle of surfing – Look up surfing, guys and blokes! Hawaii is the birthplace of modern surfing, with ancient Hawaiians riding waves on handmade wooden boards. Hang ten and catch that twisting wave!
- the land of volcanoes – Hawaii is home to one of the most active volcanoes in the world, Kilauea. Witnessing its fiery eruptions is a sight straight out of a science fiction movie. Just be sure to bring some marshmallows to roast!
- The jewel of the state – Move over, diamonds! Hawaii has its own brilliant gem, black coral. It is a rare beauty found in the depths of the ocean, and wearing it will make you feel like a true queen or king of the island.
- santa claus surfer – In Hawaii, even Santa knows how to catch a wave. Every year during the Christmas season, you can see surfers dressed as Santa Claus breaking the waves. Talk about a good time!
- The only Royal Palace in the United States – That’s right, Hawaii is home to the only royal palace in the entire United States. Iolani Palace in Honolulu is a stunning piece of history that will transport you to a bygone era of royalty and opulence.
- The island of endless summers – While most places have four seasons, Hawaii is lucky to only have two: summer and more summer. Say goodbye to winter coats and hello to perpetual sun. Time to stock up on sunscreen!
- The green sand beach – Have you ever heard of a beach with green sand? Well, on the Big Island of Hawaii you’ll find Papakōlea Beach, where the sand is a vibrant green hue due to a mineral called olivine. It’s like entering a Martian oasis!
- The State Sport is Canoeing with Outrigger – Step aside, football! In Hawaii, outrigger canoeing is the official state sport. Grab a paddle, jump in a canoe, and feel the island vibes as you cruise through the turquoise waters.
- Spam, the delight of the island – Hawaiians have a love affair with spam. Yes, you read that right. This canned meat is considered a local delicacy and is a staple in many Hawaiian dishes. Don’t hit it until you’ve tried it!
- The Most Isolated Population Center – Hawaii holds the title of being the most isolated population center on Earth. It is surrounded by thousands of miles of ocean in every direction, making it the ultimate tropical getaway.
There you have it guys! Fifteen mind-blowing facts about Hawaii that will have you packing your bags and booking that next flight to this piece of paradise. From the unique wildlife to the rich cultural heritage, Hawaii is a place that never ceases to amaze and enchant. So grab your lei, sip a mai tai, and let the aloha spirit guide you through the wonders of this extraordinary destination. Mahalo and happy exploring!