This post was contributed by a community member.
Hello everyone! from today National Backyard Day; Did you know that ZYRTEC®, the allergy relief medicine, designated the first holiday celebration in 2021? Sylvia here with her Sunday edition of the Los Angeles Patch newsletter. Read on for all the local information you need to know right now, including news on:
- 🧑🚒 A rescue at the water reclamation plant
- ✝️ Celebrating Auxiliary Bishop David O’Connelllife
- 🚌 LAUSD plans in case of strike
💗 Please help us grow! Forward this link to a friend or neighbor, so they can be in the know, just like you!
🌧️ But first, today’s weather:
Occasional rain; cooler. High: 64 Low: 53.
Are you tired of mixing with all the other real estate agents in Los Angeles? Stand out with a premium sponsorship in our newsletter. Gain valuable exposure for yourself to our highly engaged local readers. Click here for more information on this exclusive opportunity.
⛽ Three of the cheapest gas stations in the city of Los Angeles
- sinclair in 10740 Vanowen St.$4.49
- Sinaco Oil in 9930 national boulevard$4.49
- chevron in 1359 W Century Blvd.$4.50
😋 Fair Food Survey!
Fair food is the best cheat food. Although we all know it’s unhealthy, everyone has a guilty pleasure. What is your favorite?
- 26.3% funnel cake
- 24.6% Candy Apples
- 15.8% corn dogs
- 5.3% guacamole
- 3.5% Cotton candy, cheesecake, Tri-Tip sandwiches
- 1.8% Turkey legs, Guacamole with cheese, Pork chop on stick. Deep-friend Bacon Wrapped Pickle, Cinnamon Rolls, Spicy Sausage Link on a French Roll, Fried Cheese Curds, Fried Butter
The rest have the willpower to stay away from just food.
📰 Here are today’s top stories in Los Angeles:
- Los Angeles taco vendors closing their stands are being attacked by robbers. Four vendors were reportedly robbed at gunpoint in ten days. “He vendors were located along the Florence Avenue corridor at Crenshaw Boulevard, Grammercy Place, and Normandie Avenue.” (KTLA)
- Thursday, a 32-year-old man fell into a hole at the Hyperion water reclamation plant (12000 South View Of The Sea). The 3′ x 3′ opening had an estimated depth of about 15 feet. He was trapped and reportedly suffered a shoulder injury. The Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) came to the rescue, helping the man escape the hole and preparing him for transport to a hospital. (LAFD)
- Who pays to send Uber Eats fast food deliveries to Highland Park? Nobody ordered them. “People have been getting more than 30 to 40 orders,” said one resident. In addition to paying for the orders, the anonymous sender also paid for the drivers’ tips. Uber Eats says it “has taken action against multiple accounts.” (ABC)
- Residents and parishioners are looking for a way to mourn the murder of Auxiliary Bishop David O’Connell, 69, on February 18. Now the Archdiocese of Los Angeles has set up an exhibit honoring his life at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels downtown. Archbishop José Gómez invites you to come and celebrate the life of O’Connell, “that was truly lived by Jesus”. Due to his service as associate pastor in Southland, many parishioners feel the loss. (Fox)
- The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) is prepared to batten down the hatches if a strike is unavoidable on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Schools will offer “free delivery and meals under student supervision.” It would be at a few select locations between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. location for junior By the way, remember that Paper.co or Tutor.com offer FREE on-demand tutoring, so this may be a catch-up opportunity for some students. (LAUSD)
📆 Today in Los Angeles:
- He Los Angeles Marathon kicks off at Dodger Stadium (6:30 a.m.)
- It’s time to LATINO Festival 2023: “Sowing and Cultivating Our Future” at LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes (11 AM)
- Artist Leslie Garcia presentations and talks at Cinelounge® Sunset (1 pm)
- Celebrate the life and legacy of world-renowned people African American dancer Raven Wilkinson at The Ebell in Los Angeles (4 PM)
- friends of friendship stand up comedy at the Verdugo Bar (8 pm)
🖊️ From my notebook:
- “On Tuesday, March 21, Three days of meals will be provided to all Los Angeles Schools students at 24 local parks and recreation centers. throughout the district.” (Los Angeles Unified via Instagram)
- “To access student activities and resources, please log in to Schoology at lms.lausd.net.” (Los Angeles Unified via Instagram)
- “Good news! The Watts City Hall and Engine Company Building No. 65 was designated as a Historic-Cultural Landmark (HCM). 🙌 The Nature Conservancy submitted the nomination to ensure this historic site is protected as a rare pre-WWII institutional building built in the Watts neighborhood.” (Los Angeles Conservancy via Facebook)
- “The City of Los Angeles is now accepting applications for building inspector! Salary $100,432 – $111,937 – Closing: March 30, 2023 – Visit https://governmentjobs.com/car… for more information on this opportunity!” (City of Los Angeles – Jobs via Instagram)
- “How does he Sheriff’s Department safely conducts a manhunt? Clearing intersections, bypassing civilian vehicles and slowing traffic were just some of the maneuvers displayed by LASDHQ at a recently held media day.” (Los Angeles County)
🏡 What are houses selling for these days in Los Angeles?
- Median home listing price $1.1 million
- median home price per square foot $669
- Median home price sold $900K
See more information on real estate in Los Angeles!
🐶 See adorable adoptable pets of the week in the Los Angeles area!
More From Our Sponsors – Thank You For Supporting Local News!
- A Concert of Eternal Life | Organized by The Church of God (March 19)
- Get on it! Pet Photos With Bunny returns to Del Amo Fashion Center for Easter (March 19)
- Liddy Clark at The Peppermint Club (March 25)
- add your event
They’re all stuck for today. I see you on Tuesday!
— Silvia Cochran
About Me: Sylvia Cochran works in sunny Southern California and has been a full-time freelance writer since 2005. She loves dogs, cats, books, plays Best Fiends (don’t judge), embraces social justice, and treats to live Micah 6:8.
Do you have any news tips or suggestions for the next Los Angeles Patch newsletter? Contact me at [email protected]